Success! Had a decent run, still out at Rachel's Mum's place. She lives in a village so it's easy and quick to get out into the countryside and that's just what I did at daybreak. The highlights were:
- Just over one hours running! Nobody upset or miffed at me sneaking out.
- Wearing shorts in December is cool in more ways than one!
- Hardly anyone out - just a few motorists on the main road (possibly heading off to the sales????). Once I was on the minor roads I saw no one at all - no cars, cyclists, walkers, lost drinkers sleeping rough or even runners.
- Perfect weather - cloudy but mild; about 4C
- Felt good. Legs, joints not really complaining past the first few minutes. No risk of over-doing it with the previous short runs!
Later on in the morning we spotted quite a lot of runners, presumably local folk, out in their new yellow jackets, black tights and bobble hats. Some were running okay others were panting while others stopped for a rest (looking somewhat flushed, I thought). Well done everyone, I thought to myself. Between us we have thousands of extra calories to burn off.
Great to see some 'new' runners outside. Some look awkward, heavy and self conscious. That's fine, I remember being like that myself - who cares? The important thing is to get into the regular habit and before they'll know it, they'll be real runners!