Sunday 29 January 2012

Review - The Food Doctor Savoury Roasted Soya

Savoury roasted soya, as scoffed by Rachel

Following on from The Food Doctor's raw seeds and nuts I thought I'd try out these savoury roasted soya beans.  Little did I know I would be thwarted as they were scoffed by Rachel, who is often dubious of some of these healthy foods I bring home from time to time.  Rachel was with me in the kitchen as I opened the tub, we each tried about a spoonful.

"Mmmmmm surprisingly Moorish" she said.  

Little did I know that would be the last I saw of them but at least the pack was left for the purpose of blogging.

From memory of the few I had, they were fine.  Not a strong flavour, quite subtle really with a soya sauce flavour.  Quite hard and just right for snacks, maybe in a lunch box or perhaps  when you're in the kitchen feeling peckish.  

So, are they healthy?  Are The Food Doctor savoury roasted soya beans over priced?

I think so, on both counts.

Health wise, they're fine:

105 calories per 25g serving
High fibre - 19.5g per 100g
Low in saturated fat - 2.4g per 100g

Soya beans generally are good for you by containing: Vitamins E, B1, B3, B6 and various other nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, iron, zinc and carbohydrates.  All this is useful in terms of containing antioxidants and cholesterol lowering properties.  The text on the packaging refers to the beans as being a rich source of protein and breakdown slowly to provide a steady flow of energy through the day.  Fibre is fairly high at 19.5% which of course is great for keeping the digestive tract moving.

At £2.99 they're expensive for a mere 150g.  Balanced against that we have to consider most food is artificially cheap in the UK and often at the expense of those who produce it or are in the early stages of the supply chain.  So if this food comes to me with some kind of Fair Trade-type ethic, then I don't mind.  There's also a lot of GM soya around: while I don't approve of GM, we have little choice as consumers.

I know nothing about The Food Doctor other than taking a brief look around their website (click here) but I think I'll come back to that more thoroughly on another occasion.

2 comments:

  1. Really like your review. Would love to send you our organic, guaranteed GMO free Soya Snack. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin

      Many thinks and yes please to your offer. I've just emailed you.

      Regards,

      Doug

      Delete