Monday 30 January 2012

Francis Albaugh - 90 year old runner


I came across an article on Francis Albaugh as he was approaching his 90th birthday in February 2012 and couldn't help but think how amazing this kind of story is.  

Click here for the full article  by The Meadville Tribune on 23rd January 2012.

One of the remarkable things is that he didn't start running until he was 57 and I can't help but wonder if that is part of his youthful success in later life i.e. not wearing himself out too soon.  No matter, it's an inspiring account.  He's competed in numerous marathons and ultramarathons which is a credit for anyone, let alone as an elderly gentleman.  

He commented that "during my 70s, there was no stopping me.  I was racing and having just over six minute miles".  That's cool.  In my late forties I could do a mile dash in 6 minutes and 20 seconds.  The article goes on to share that he's needed a couple of operations which has slowed him down but certainly haven't stopped him.

I can very much identify with the quote that stands out the most: "When I run, I feel good" says Albaugh "if I would stop running, I would just slow down physically and mentally.  When I run, I'm awake and alive".

How true.

No comments:

Post a Comment