Sunday 31 March 2013

Seriously missing running


Friends, you will know I have had flu or something for the last 10 days or so and I'm now feeling sorry for myself: I hate being ill.  Whenever I've had something like this I have worked my way through it pretty quickly, certainly inside a week.  Talk about itchy feet: I've read through some blog accounts of some nice runs I have done in the past and, well, you can imagine how I feel.  I hate feeling so useless!

Aching arms and legs, no energy and a hacking cough are the symptoms.  Eating lots of fruit as usual and my appetite is back (so I must be getting better!).

I know that I'm going to get through this and gradually pick up running again.  While I have a feeling the MK Marathon is slipping through my fingers because of this, I can't help but feel incredibly optimistic about, well, anything really but especially RUNNING and CYCLING.

I haven't quite figured out exactly why I have had this dose of flu; it seems ideal for space in my busy life for some reflection or an inspired idea.  This hasn't happened as yet.  Perhaps I need to be a better patient!



2 comments:

  1. It's frustrating when something like this happens but I believe that illness can be inevitable when you are marathon training and having to endure the demands of a difficult job at the same time. Not only that but this freezing cold has been enough to be the straw that breaks the Camels back,so many people are coughing and spluttering. Germs are everywhere!
    I personally think you will be fine for the MK and I don't think that training schedules have to be followed to the letter. I see them as a guide and if you miss two weeks or more it's not game over. Remember you have plenty of 'Miles in the bank' and that's your trump card,so to speak.
    Anyway,do not despair,this happens to loads of runners, me included.
    rgds, 'H'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh H thank you again! Yep you're right training can push our immunity to the limits and reassuring to know I'm not the only person this happens to.
    Kind regards,
    Doug.

    ReplyDelete