Friday 12 April 2013

Mid week running update

Even a small lunge helps stretch muscles
Last weekend was about getting the running shoes back on and proving to myself I could still run.  This week has been about getting back into the habit, as well as being able to handle being back at work (quite a shock to the system).

I still have a bit of a cough and a reminder that I've had a nasty virus / flu which has knocked the stuffing out of me well and truly.  If I needed any consolation, I've been aware I am not the only one who has succombed to this and also it's been quite heartening how concerned some of my colleagues have been as I hardly ever have any time off for illness.

So after last weekend's 6.99 mile run, I needed to get back into the swing of things if I am to stand any chance of getting around the forthcoming marathon.  I have had three runs after work and each was exactly the same course of about 5 miles, which takes about 40 minutes (give or take a little).  Here's how it went:

Monday

Most of the day was spent at my desk catching up on the usual avalanche of emails and as always I succeeded in having a meeting to go to at some point in the day.  I don't like too many meetings and I used to covet the time when I could just sit at my desk, surrounded by my stuff and get on with what I needed to do.  And then there's the opposite extreme when I spend a few days sitting at my desk which I hate even more.  So I always like to have something to attend, some kind of interaction with people other than those from my immediate team.  All day long I was looking forward to my run.

It was cold as I set off in shorts and a single layered top.  The first mile was incredibly tough for me and it involve a gentle slope gradually climbing.  Ordinarily not hard but my legs felt like jelly and I knew I was going sower than normal.  I was also coughing from time to time; clearly still not completely better.  Got to the top of the hill and turned into a park area for over a mile of foot paths and a gentle downhill direction.  Back to the office on the flat and felt really difficult every step.  I was also feeling a bit dry and dehydrated and then remembered I'd had a mug of tea over 3 hours ago and nothing else.  Got back to the office roughly 40 minutes later.  Went in for a pee and jumped in my car to drive home.  Didn't enjoy this run at all.

Tuesday

My colleague Chris came along with me which was good as I could moan about how difficult yesterday's run was.  We talked about work a little and all in all I forgot we were running up hill.  It was a little warmer and there was a pleasant bit of hazy sun which lifted my mood.

We both commentated that we were feeling a bit still and so we promised ourselves we'd stretch once we got back to the office.  It was a great run in comparison and once again I am feeling a convert to the idea of having a running partner.  Stretching was of real benefit, especially doing some lunges, but much further than the above photo.  

Wednesday

Rest day, no running.  Back home earlier which was nice.

Thursday

Through engineering a daily meeting, I found myself having to go to the County Council offices which are about half a mile away from my office.  Looking out of the window I could see some light drizzle but thought I'd walk anyway.  We all agreed on things and some positive progress being was made which I was pleased about and so I power-walked back to the office.  As I was almost there my phone rang and I had to explain to my colleague why I was huffing and puffing a bit before we could have a meaningful conversation.  He just didn't get it!

All this drizzly walking was strangely lovely; I quite like misty days.   However by the end of the afternoon there was some lovely hazy (but cold) sunshine and I set off again for my 40 minute run.  Pretty good all-in-all even though I was running alone.  I got some encouragement from seeing some other runners and I reckon I was faster and more nimble - I liked that thought as I'm still getting better.

Back to the office - all sticky, stinky and sweaty.  Jumped in my car and drove home grinning like a Cheshire cat.  I turned the cassette on (yes my car is that old it really does have a cassette player) and straight away Louis Armstrong "what a wonderful world" played and how right that was.

Today

No running today but planning to have a good long run tomorrow morning.  We're going into London for the day so I'll need to sneak out super-early to get that done before breakfast etc.  

I just don't know how I'll fare in the marathon but nevertheless I'm not backing out.  I know I'll be slower than last year but I feel really spurred on and keen to get back up to my peak.  Running again feels great and is just about keeping me on top of the usual work-related stress.  As you know I really did miss it while I was poorly.  Off for an early night......

No comments:

Post a Comment