First impressions - bloomin' miserable. Why am I doing this? Why not just stay tucked up under the duvet? Am I mad?
A week ago we were in Spain. Running conditions could not have been better. Quite a contrast to this drab, wet, cold and miserable morning.
The Glad game
You might know that children's book / film - Polyanna? A period film about a little girl who always finds something to be glad about even in the most unlikely circumstances. The other characters in the film were often irritated by her, I can see why. So I thought I might be equally irritating and do that now.
So, in spite of such horrible conditions, why was this morning's run something to be "glad" about?
- Nobody else was crazy enough, apart from me in being out this morning. Therefore I had the hills and tracks to myself
- On top of the hill my legs were stinging with the rain. Back home they were tingling!
- I feel great and I have the rest of the day to enjoy that feeling of "well being", an inward smile through the much blogged about Runner's High
- One hour = 6.5 miles = 650 calories (very roughly)
- Hannah greeted me as usual when I come in from running with "Daddy, you stink". Made me smile
- I had a really nice hot shower when I got back - lovely! Appreciate it all the more!
- Running in horrible conditions makes me feel ALIVE
- Running in horrible conditions makes me appreciate Spain, the sunshine and warmth even more