Tuesday 13 March 2012

Check your running shoes!

I have known for some time my Sauconys have been living on borrowed time.  They've been the best running shoes I've ever had and really comfortable.  They have had that "lived in" feeling and have "grown" on me - just like an old pair of jeans you just can't bear to throw away.

Then one day last week I noticed my right foot was landing differently and didn't think too much about it, after all, it was just a short run around the neighbourhood.

When I got back and took a closer look, it was obvious as you can see in the photo above.   Additionally, the left shoe was about to give way in exactly the same place.

"I suppose you're going to send them back and ask for another pair?" asked Rachel, with memories of taking my shirts back to M&S because they showed signs of wear after several months.

"Nah, I don't think I can get away with that, they really are past their use-by date."

I waxed-lyrical about the hundreds of miles I had ran in those shoes.

Rachel politely listened, did her very best not to yawn and simply said "yes dear".

So there they go, into the wheely bin.  I'll get another pair soon as my Brooks Vapor 9's are okay but not quite as good as the Sauconys.  The moral to the story - do check running shoes from time to time.  I was lucky with them failing close to home; far better than out on a 2 or 3 hour run.

Related: Saucony ProGrid Omni 10 - long term review

No comments:

Post a Comment