I have found I like running on a treadmill, much to my surprise. This is why:
- Indoors, so the weather outside doesn't matter. Self imposed excuses like "it's too cold, wet, icy, snowy, windy" simply don't apply.
- No tripping up on things in the dark as I have done in the past.
- Great to monitor progress - distances and times are precise. I take note of my 10k and 1 mile runs
- Some have heart rate monitors
- Some have programmable runs - different gradients and speeds. These can simulate tempo runs, fartlek training etc
- It's safe. Nobody is going to mug you
- A running surface that is not rock hard
- Set a speed and it stays constant. This is a great way of pushing myself. Otherwise if I'm running outside and resolve to have a faster or slower run, I always seem to adjust and run at my normal pace
- You can stop at any point, have a nice hot shower and go home. Or maybe a different form of exercise, or perhaps stretching.
- You can still get that Runners High feeling
- People watching can be fun. Just watching the others in the gym is fascinating sometimes; the body builders, the posers, the bums n tums folk and so it goes on...
Of course there are some disadvantages:
- Can be boring
- Is it real running?
- Treadmills cost money
- And use electricity
- Some might say it is a pointless treadmill which refers to jobs, careers, lifestyle etc (I tend to think of it as a keep-fit tool
So there you go, treadmill running. Boring but it serves a good purpose and has made all the difference to me.