Thursday 11 August 2011

"If you're going through hell, keep going"



It was Winston Churchill who said "if you're going through hell, keep going".

I was reminded of that on my morning run earlier today.  From time to time I find the first 10 minutes really difficult and that's exactly how I felt today.   Sometimes I feel like turning back and going home altogether but I never do; I always press on and never regret it.

Even though this morning's run was not the swiftest, it was a fantastic run over my hilly 7.5 mile course.

Somehow that first mile just melted away as I got to enjoy the rest of the run.  Always something to revel in with these early morning runs, today it was long shadows and those muted pre-harvest pale colours.  It was delightful and of course, I had it for myself!

The climax was the last half mile as it is slightly down hill.  I went as fast as I could for a few hundred yards and then coasted / jogged the last bit back home (mindful of a previous blog post in cooling down).  Still felt good though with that Runner's High with me through the morning.

So if you're getting used to running, please remember about this.  Sometimes an early "wall" will appear but try not to automatically stop and give up, especially if you have already covered longer distances.

No comments:

Post a Comment