When I got the Thorn Audax in January last year, I felt like an excited school boy with a new shiny racer. It's always nice to have a beautifully maintained and lubricated bike but I became very self-conscious in the early days with spokes glistening in the sunlight.
Soon I saw it differently and have continued to keep a certain amount of dirt on the bike. Here's why I keep it with a little dirt on:
- Attracts less attention from would-be thieves, blending in makes me feel a little more modest
- Maximise cycling time, instead of fiddling around keeping it clean
- It's good to keep the chain extra clean: this will really reduce the rate of wear and extend the life of the chain and sprocket
- Not setting myself up as an expert cyclist
- Becoming more interested in the mechanical side could turn out to be expensive.... "ah I could do with upgrading X and while I'm at it I might as well do Y at the same time. Then I'll need special tools for doing this and a workshop stand" and the list goes on and on....
- BUT I am less likely to spot something that's worn or about to fall off
- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
What about you? Do you clean your bike?