Sunday 13 February 2011

Cycling Active magazine

March 2011 issue, £3.99
Years ago the cycling magazines around were pretty dreadful, unless you were heavily into road / time trialling.  Nowadays there's a growing number covering different aspects of cycling and Cycling Active is one that I quite like.

On one hand it's a bit of a Jack-of-all-trades by covering a fairly wide range of disciplines but on the other, it is a good entertaining read for the general cyclist, perhaps just like me. Maybe that makes me sound a bit of an "armchair cyclist" and perhaps there's some truth in that right now.  In this issue I've warmed to a view articles and these are just what I need right now, what with still being out of action.

The articles I like include "In the name of my father" which is all about Donal Harrington undertaking some rigorous training for an ambitious ride in honour of his late father. Donal Harrington has gone from being a 17 stone lorry driver to a cyclist who is well on the way to great things, including raising money for the Irish Cancer Society and the Marie Keating Foundation.  It is the training schedule that leaps out at me the most:

Monday - rest day
Tuesday - 90 miles cycling plus weight training / circuits
Wednesday - 3 hours cycling plus stretching
Thursday - repeat Tuesday
Friday - rest
Saturday - 2 hours cycling
Sunday - long distance ride

Makes me want to just get riding again!

http://www.thelifecycle.ie/

No comments:

Post a Comment