Wednesday 22 July 2015

Squeezing in a few short runs


We've been to Yorkshire!  Only for a couple of days while my eldest daughter took a look at York University.  We decided to camp at the Castle Howard Lakeside Campsite which turned out to be a bit posh in a basic kind of way (i.e. expensive, looked nice, few facilities).  This was through being somewhere on the Castle Howard Estate which meant there weren't many footpaths open to a runner and those that were there stopped after a while with a good measure of barbed wire and signs warning of nasty dogs on patrol.

We arrived on Monday and left Wednesday (today) meaning I could squeeze in three short runs. Each of these was about 4 or 5 miles and I absolutely loved them through being in perfect weather conditions and new terrain.

All this reminded me of why I sometimes like to run on several consecutive days, doing simply a few miles each day.  This is why:

  • Fitting in a run for 30 - 45 minutes is not too difficult
  • It builds a nice running habit
  • Much less likely to pick up a running injury, compared to longer runs
  • Each run is valid; good runs don't have to be long or fast runs - they all count
  • Burns about 500 calories each time
  • Long enough to get warmed up and feel like I'm having a decent run
  • Long enough for a Runner's High
  • Still incredibly effective in maintaining good levels of fitness (heart, circulation, joints etc)
  • A daily reminder of all the great things about being a runner
And now we're back home, I think I'll carry this on for a few days.  Oh, should have said.  It's true every single run does count, even if it's just a mile.  I am on track for 1,000 miles in a year - that's through a real mixture of lengths and I love each one of them.

Related:

No comments:

Post a Comment