Thursday 9 July 2015

Life without caffeine

It is now about five weeks since I decided to try life without caffeine and its been an interesting experience.  At first I was a little apprehensive and wondered how I would get on.  To be completely honest, in the first few days it was noticeable something was missing but happily things have settled down now.
I remember feeling a little different, a kind of light headiness perhaps.  I also thought my sense of balance had been affected.  Also I remember really missing a nice cuppa at different times in the day when ordinarily I would enjoy a cup of tea or a coffee.  With this in mind Rachel suggested decaf and went rummaging in the kitchen before finding a box of seldom used decaf teabags.  I tried a cup and it wasn’t bad but of course it wasn’t quite the same as the tea I was used to.  I have progressed on to having some decaf coffee too.  Mind you, I still can’t stand the thought of ‘instant’ coffee.
The strange thing about life without caffeine nowadays is people’s surprise when I decline a drink unless it’s decaf. This has occurred mostly at work as a few of us have a good system going on to ensure we’re all supplied with regular cups of tea or coffee.  There have, however, been a few times when I’ve not had decaf and the results have been interesting; this is right from the diuretic effect happening with a made dash to the toilet through to absolutely no effect at all.
I do miss a decent cup of tea or coffee but there are no real worries.  I miss how I used to enjoy it and think I can gradually have some more soon.  What either concerns, or amuses me, is thinking of how many years ago I gave up smoking and drinking.  Several years ago I gave up eating meat by becoming a vegetarian and knocking caffeine out seems a radical step, possibly a step too far to be completely caffeine free?

No comments:

Post a Comment