I have blogged before about the best Reasons to Run. As I see it today it occurred to me:
Some of the nice simple features of running are:
- No need fancy equipment. Just you, your feet, your legs and a sense of challenge
- Once you have your running shoes, it can cost nothing to run
- You don't need to go to a special place to run; you can run almost anywhere. If you can find a variety of routes, taking you over different terrain, so much the better
- You can run whenever you want
- You don't actually need GPS tracking, music or other gizmos
- You listen to your breathing, your heart beating and your footfall. You're more in tune with your own body and how it all fits together
- No need to worry about any technical problems - i.e. you won't get a puncture, run out of petrol
- It's simply you, your feet and legs moving you forward. What could be simpler?
Once you're past initial that stage and can run further and then you get to the point where you're actually starting to enjoy it, you are then a RUNNER! At this stage you realise how simple it can be.
Sure, you need proper running shoes and I have always advocated this. Having the right clothing can help you stay a little more comfortable. Other than that you don't need anything at all.
Simple. Pure simplicity. Enjoy it.