Monday 6 October 2014

A rainy run after work

I wanted to record some of the highlights from a run after work today, partly as an encouraging reminder for myself in the future and simply because it is part of this blog.

Today the weather was rainy, first for several weeks.  It seems the weather has suddenly changed from a lovely Indian summer to Autumn in the space of 24 hours.  I had been in my office all day, slaving over a hot keyboard and managed to get loads done - I can assure you (the tax payer) that you had good value for money out of me today.  I had my running kit in the back of my car as I do more often these days, so at 5.15pm I logged out of my computer, tidied my desk, washed my coffee mug, watered my desk plant and got changed.

I could see in the fading light there was a little rain in the air so I popped my yellow jacket on too.  As one of my affectionate once colleagues pointed out, I looked like a running highlighter pen.  Hmmmm....  In no time at all I was out running through the rain drops.  I could feel them against my face and legs; it actually felt quite refreshing and pleasant.  I ran for 5.2 miles in 45 minutes, a moderate speed for me on my own.  Throughout the run I must say it felt so good and these are the points that made it a great run:

Listening to my iPod Shuffle, the two memorable tracks were: "When I survey the wondrous cross" which I found uplifting.  Next, by complete contrast was Tom Waits "Invitation to the Blues" which is one of my all-time favourites.  I remembered the time when I first heard it - in Cheltenham, probably 1980 or 81 or maybe 82 at a friend's house.  I could never have imagined I'd be listening to it over 30 years later running around Stevenage in the rain.

I almost wish the rain would have been harder and I was totally drenched, just for the fun of it.  While I felt really alive, I could have felt totally blasted and totally alive!  Somehow a hard run turns out to be more memorable and enjoyable, for some strange reason.

I drove home feeling wet and soggy in my car.  I had the heater on maximum to dry out and warm myself up.  That meant I needed the aircon on too in order to stop the windows misting completely over.  I admit to driving home with a grin on my face.

I loved that rainy run, the highlight of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment