I couldn't resist asking a little more and by the time we'd finished talking my tea was cold and I had to remake it! This was one of those conversations which just flowed so nicely. These are the main points (which I just loved hearing all about):
- Teetotal for life. This means she hasn't drunk any alcohol
- She has never smoked
- She stays as active as she can, given her age
- While she has never been a "runner" as I am, she has cycled a fair bit and carried on until she was quite elderly
- She travelled to England for a visit when she was 103 and has a "young at heart" outlook. Much to be said about keeping a positive approach to life. While she was here in England she had a suspected stroke which led to an ambulance being called. She refused to be put into a wheel chair in order to get into the ambulance but instead climbed on herself. She was discharged shortly afterwards and everything was okay.
- She has always had a simple diet, always vegetarian and almost vegan
- Her diet includes some raw food, nicely prepared and washed to make sure it is clean
- She lives in a comfortable, not extravagant, manner
Me, I could be tempted with a Harley Davidson when I'm 90. Would I get one? Don't know, but if I can still run and cycle I will be pleased, content and appreciate my blessings. I do intend to stay as active for as long as I can and hearing this kind of inspirational account is really encouraging.