Sunday 5 February 2012

Linseed / Flaxseed


As I'm not a big fan of eating oily fish, I need to be mindful of how I get sufficient Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.  For sure we all need to include these in our diets for the benefit of our cardiovascular system and avoid heart disease and so on.  The humble Flaxseed (aka Linseed) is a good source to consider.

For the last couple of years I have been including ground Flaxseed in my diet almost on a daily basis.  This can be done in a variety of ways (Rachel often sprinkles some into the bread mixture) but the most appetising way is through including it in my Cyclist's Breakfast which is extraordinarily popular in terms of blog hits.

How much Flaxseed do I have?
About 10g each day - a desert spoonful

How do I grind it?
Using a coffee bean grinder.  I normally grind about 2 or 3 weeks worth in one go.  Anymore it seems to dry out or appear to "go off" in a way.

What nutrients are in Faxseed / Linseed?
Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and some protein.

What are the health benefits?
The main benefit is for the circulatory system by lowering cholesteral but it can help ease coughs and constipation

What does it taste like?
Nothing special but okay.

What is the difference between gold and brown Linseed?
Apparently none at all - check out this useful link to Flax Farm - click here.  When I asked this question in Holland & Barrett they told me the golden variety had been hulled and the nutrients were then more concentrated.  Hummmm I think they got this wrong.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment